Things I got sick of hearing during Pregnancy
There are some things that you should probably NEVER say to a pregnant woman. These are just a few that have bothered me my entire pregnancy. Now I do know people get excited when new babies arrive, and family wants all the love and snuggles also, but in the end this is MY baby. Not theirs. It is hard getting that through some people’s head. These things really made me either uncomfortable or aggravated. There is about 8 things, and probably a whole bunch more that didn’t come to me at the moment. Let me know if any of these same thing bothered you!
- “He’s going to be so spoiled!” Okay, and? So what. If I want to spoil him and other people want to, then so be it. Maybe we just have a generation of parents who spoil their children because they are out of options and don’t know how to fully handle or discipline a child. A child can be spoiled, but still be well behaved at the same time.
- “I’ll be over the house all the time!” No you won’t. Not without my permission you won’t. Maybe I’d like a day with just my family, or with just my child? Don’t get me wrong, I love when people come over. But do you think the last thing I want to do is entertain people when I have a brand new newborn and I’m trying to figure out this new mom thing? Yeah if you are coming over to help ME, THE MOM, and with the exception of helping and seeing my baby, then fine by all means, let me know first. Please just don’t show up uninvited though. Please text/call me first.
- “That’s my baby.” No it isn’t. This is my baby. I know you are excited about the little bundle as much as I am, but I can’t tell you how many times I have heard this. Especially from family. Maybe I feel a little jealous? Because I feel like at this point I just want to hog my child. I mean, he is mine after all.
- ”Wow you look sick.” Yeah I look like this because I’m growing a whole child. Some days I feel like I’m glowing, but on the days I feel like death, yeah I’m going to look sick. You don’t have to make me feel worse.
- “Better get used to being tired, you won’t get any sleep now.” Okay, yeah I’m pretty sure I knew that already. And you know what? I made the choice to get pregnant. I knew what came along with it. I’ve already taken that into consideration. Why not be understanding instead of being negative. It was my choice to bring this child into the world and to care for him, and to be there for him 24/7. I chose to be tired for something amazing.
- ”Oh just wait, he’s gonna be worse than you were!” I PLAN ON HIM NOT TO BE BECAUSE I HAVE MY OWN WAY OF DOING THINGS. Please don’t tell me I’m going to have a misbehaving child. You have no idea how I am going to parent yet.
- “Are you going to breastfeed?” Idk. Am I? You know some women can’t. I’m going to try my best, but if I cannot, will it be a problem? It won’t be your problem, so don’t worry about it.
- ”Oh you don’t matter now.” Excuse me? I am his mother. I DO MATTER. I am the one carrying him, and he wouldn’t be here without his dad or I. Just because it will soon be mostly about him, doesn’t mean that I don’t matter. So please do not say that to me. This is probably the worse. Plus you don’t even know what that person is going through at the moment. Just remember that.
I really hope that some of these things have never been said to you, but we all know that isn’t true. What are some things that were said to you that bothered you during pregnancy?
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. When you click these links, I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything, but it helps me to run this site.