Uncategorized

Week 1 with Newborn & 7 Days Postpartum

Well here we are. 7 days PP.

PP is short for Postpartum. – the period after birth.

Every mom has been there. Sometimes it’s okay, sometimes it’s really good, and other times it’s not the greatest. The one thing we all have in common with PP is that we have an AMAZING baby, the light of your life at the end. How can one not be just satisfied with that?

I definitely am! I’m not gonna write this post to school you on PP or PPD (Postpartum Depression). I’m not gathering the facts or laying it out there. Here’s how my first week with a newborn in PP is going.

This is PP. 7 days in fact, my baby is a whole week old, and I can’t wrap my head around the fact that he’s already been alive and well fed and kept and loved, actually loved in our arms for 7 whole days. I really have developed a fear over the last week of him growing and getting older. I know there isn’t anything I can do, but it gives me such anxiety and I have to talk myself down from it. Being a mom is an AMAZING thing and opportunity and I now could never go back to my old self or the way I was.

PP is sitting in the bathtub with your legs to the side because you are scared to open or sit criss cross, talk about a tear after pushing a 7 pound baby out. PP is taking that first bathroom trip and thinking it was worse than the labor itself. PP for me this week is still getting the shakes, and nearly crying every time I laid my son in his bassinet next to our bed to go to sleep at night and wondering if he is going to be okay and checking on him, literally every 3 minutes. Just wearing myself out even more. PP for me is being tired already of wearing the mesh panties. My breasts hurt. I had clogged ducts by day 3. My baby broke my tailbone when I was pushing him out. No one talks about how excruciating a tailbone issue is. It has been a constant struggle.

You feel like you can’t catch a break. There is a fine line between PP and PPD. I am not depressed. I am overjoyed and overwhelmed by this child. I enjoy taking care of him. I wait for him to wake up. I could sit and stare at him all day! I don’t feel sad. I don’t feel left out. I don’t feel cooped up, or like I am drowning.

As far as my first week goes, yes I’ve been peed and pooped on, and spit up on. But we have cuddled and napped, and we have been eating to our hearts content! It feels amazing not to be pregnant, if I am being completely honest! That first moment I laid down in my bed without that extra weight was PURE relief. I laugh every time he stretches, grunts, whines, or smiles that milk drunk smile.

The Hardest Part

The hardest part by far is breastfeeding. This is the one area that I have felt like a failure. In the hospital I was breastfeeding and he watching latching on surprisingly well. There were a few problems with him latching toward the second day, but the nurses and everyone kept encouraging me. By the next morning after being at home, I just knew he wasn’t getting enough, so I started the bottle and started substituting with formula. I felt so bad. I couldn’t help myself. And no, I’m not bashing any other mom or dad for using formula. I have nothing against formula. It’s just, I was so excited to breast feed, and knowing he wasn’t getting enough just yet, or I felt like he wasn’t getting enough, I felt like a bad mom because in my head I feel/felt like he wasn’t getting what he needed.

Also, pumping is exhausting. My supply has been so low. Even when I build up enough, or not really enough, but just enough to give him 1-2 bottles of breast milk, (because I get excited), I end up running out and pumping like crazy even though I’m pumping around the clock, so then I once again have to substitute with formula.

So by far this has been the hardest thing for me to cope with. I did purchase a nipple shield, and it has helped tremendously, but we are still just practicing on latching on. He will latch and then get frustrated if he doesn’t get milk right away. It’s overwhelming! We are going to keep practicing though!

All the late nights are not that bad, yes I’m tired, but it’s totally worth it. I could never go back to my old ways or self. I will forever care for this little boy. By the time this post will actually post, cause let’s face it, I’m a new mom and I feel bad if I put him down for more than 10 minutes, I’ll be 10 days postpartum, but it’s all the same still! I just need to learn how to balance my blog life with my new mom life. I really do miss it! I’ll get the hang of it soon! I still can’t quite believe that this little guy came out of me, and is the result of my husband and I. He’s our mini. It’s a HUGE thing to wrap ones head around. I just know I love this little boy so much!

I would tell you my labor story but that’s for a different post and day. This mama can only handle one right now!

31 Comments

1. Britt | Shed Happens (@ShedHappenscmty)

April 22, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Congratulations, he’s precious! I know that I don’t have to say this, but I feel like I have to just because you can’t hear it enough – You are not any less of an AMAZING mom if you have to substitute with formula. In fact, I would say that makes you super mom because you are recognizing what he needs and doing what’s necessary to make sure that he is properly taken care of!

April 22, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Thanks so much! It means a lot! With everything going on and the hormones I think I just get a little overwhelmed! But I do agree, it’s nice for the reminder because you’re right! You can’t hear it enough! ?

2. sseigler2

April 23, 2020 at 4:09 am

That picture at the end is so beautiful ? it’s a beautiful summation of how a mother struggles for moments like that one. I can only hope one day I’m blessed with children but for now I can read blogs like yours and help the new mommas I know.

April 23, 2020 at 4:22 am

Thanks so much! It’s a beautiful thing, and I’m only doing my best to enjoy it now! Help is always needed! Thanks again ?

3. clairelomax2018

April 23, 2020 at 5:17 am

Congratulations! He is so beautiful! What a blessing in an uncertain time.

It’s been over 12 years since I was PP (although some days I still feel like I’m right back there!)
    But reading this I can remember all those mixed emotions so clearly.

Take care and enjoy your lovely little one x

April 23, 2020 at 1:43 pm

Thanks so much!

4. Brooke at Blue to Bliss

April 23, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations on your sweet baby boy. I will never forget how magical yet exhausting having a newborn in the house is. Best of luck to you.

April 23, 2020 at 1:43 pm

Thank you! I appreciate it!

5. Anna

April 23, 2020 at 2:18 pm

Congratulations girl, he is so precious! Do not feel bad about breastfeeding and formula at all! J just refused to breastfeed at all and we had to switch to formula. We both were less stressed, I was reassured about her eating, and we could just enjoy the time together. My biggest regret is being hard on myself over her milk! Congratulations again!!??

April 23, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Thank you so much! That has been the hardest thing for me to overcome! I’m learning that it’s okay though!

1. Rayo

April 24, 2020 at 7:07 am

He is so precious. This post will be a reference when I’m blessed with my own family, it is so helpful for new mothers and you are doing great. Congratulations once again ?

6. Kelly Diane

April 23, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Congratulations on your perfect bundle of joy. It’s great that you’ve felt comfortable enough to share how you’re feeling & I’m sure your post will help so many women who think they are alone in how they feel.

April 23, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Thank you so much! I really hope that it does!

7. piperhill

April 24, 2020 at 7:43 am

This is such a sweet post and your little boy is absolutely gorgeous. I don’t have children myself but I remember my sister going through the same experience in regards to breastfeeding and I can’t imagine what that must feel like. I’m glad you’re keeping well. Congrats mama!

April 25, 2020 at 9:27 pm

It’s hard, but definitely worth it! Thank you so much!

8. adamjnew85

April 24, 2020 at 9:22 am

Congratulations, it’s a long time now since I had a new born baby around. It’s such a surreal experience. So many emotions, and that’s just from the dads side. Wishing you a long and healthy life together.

9. Eve

April 24, 2020 at 10:58 am

Firstly let me start off saying, congratulations he is beyond beautiful, and secondly thank you so much for sharing this experience with us all, I personally have been very interested in the process and it’s a beyond beautiful story ! ?? Good luck with the beautiful challenges you will face ??

April 25, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll be writing about my labor story soon! I appreciate it! Thanks again 🙂

10. Inside The Voyage

April 24, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Wow he is so precious! Congratulations x

April 25, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Thank you!! 🙂

11. Baby Boomer Super Saver

April 24, 2020 at 10:58 pm

Your son is just adorable! Congratulations!

April 25, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Thanks so much! 🙂

12. Amy

April 25, 2020 at 1:16 pm

This took me right back to the newborn days ? I remember the feeling of watching them while they sleep at night and then not getting enough sleep yourself!

I was the same with pumping. I just didn’t have the supply to do it and it used to get me so down. Keep going, you’ll get there. Whether it’s breast, pump or formula, as long as he’s fed and happy that’s all that matters ?

April 25, 2020 at 9:27 pm

You’re right! I just have to remind myself so often that as long as he is fed then that is all that matters! It is a lot to keep up with, but we are making it! Thanks girl! 🙂

13. quirkymoms486

April 26, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Hang in there with the breastfeeding! That was the hardest part for me as well, but the most important thing I kept having to tell myself was fed is best! You are doing great 🙂
    -Amanda

April 27, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Thank you so much! ?

14. theelljournal

April 27, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Oh my gosh! Congratulations, he’s gorgeous! Ell x

April 29, 2020 at 6:45 am

Thank you so so much! ?

15. Yaaau5356

May 13, 2020 at 11:56 am

Awww so cute. This is a really nice post got to learn a lot.. Hopefully you are gonna have a much happier life ahead..

May 14, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Thank you, I appreciate it!