Blabbing Ash is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Let’s face it, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies when you bring a newborn home. We are now 12 days in with our newborn being home and it has been amazing- and there have been parts where I am like, what the hell am I doing?
This will be fairly short, I am just going to compile a list of items that have helped me tremendously in the last 2 weeks. I really hope that they help some of you too! I think I’ll include some that haven’t been so helpful, also.
Life Saver Items
- Boppy Pillow– This pillow can be used for literally so many different things. I’ve talked about this pillow in a previous post I believe. This thing can be used for nursing, propping the baby up, or just simply using it as a neck or cuddle pillow. I have also been using it to sit on with my broken tailbone! (Story of this coming later.)
- Burp Cloths– Lord you will need a lot of these, and you can never have to many, so STOCK UP!
- Wubbanub– Okay, so even if you don’t plan on using a pacifier, plan on people still getting you one. & If you do plan on using a pacifier, then we LOVE our wubbanub. My son loves to cuddle this thing, and it helps soothe him. We don’t push the pacifier, we only give it to him to hold him from crying while trying to make his bottle, and he sleeps with it, like a stuffed animal, except he never has the paci in his mouth. I think he just likes the stuffed animal attached to it more than anything!
- A Plain Towel- Yes, I said it. Always have a plain bath towel near by. Not a wash cloth, but just a plain bath towel. I can’t tell you how many times I have used one in the last 14 days for diaper changes. My child has made it a point to poop on me or the furniture every time during a diaper change. This makes the clean up SO MUCH EASIER!
Items Not Needed
- A Bottle Warmer- Honestly we have two of them and I have tried to use both, and maybe I am just dumb, but I have no idea how to use either of them, and I have put them back into the closet. When I need to warm a bottle up, especially in the middle of the night, I just use a glass bowl of water, and keep it in the microwave and hit the start button for 1 minute and 30 seconds, and then I put the bottle into the water to warm up after the bowl comes out, (you aren’t suppose to directly warm a bottle up (this could make the formula really hot) or breast milk in the microwave (this could kill all the nutrients in it.) While the bottle is warming up, I just change his diaper real quick, grab the bottle, feed him and WALA, done, we go back to sleep.
- Bottle Cleaners- I got like 15 of those things, a sponge does just fine if you don’t let the bottle sit in the sink all day with gunked up formula and breast milk in it.
- Mittens- Honestly, I filed my baby’s nails down the first week he was home. Those dang mittens always come off and end up hiding somewhere. It’s really aggravating.
So these are just some things that I found that have been super helpful and not helpful at all! To each their own, this is just my opinion.
These last few weeks have been so amazing with my little guy. It’s a learning experience for all of us. I really hope that this post will help some new and second/ multiple time moms in figuring out what they really need, or don’t need. It’s all a trial and error, and what works for someone else or for me might not work vice versa.
Thanks for reading!