Cinco De Mayo is finally here and we are all basically in quarantine. This would happen in the year that Cinco de Mayo finally falls on Taco Tuesday. Just a little devastated about it- reason being is I have my baby here now, and I CAN FINALLY DRINK A MARGARITA! I’m really starting to miss when they would bring my hot plate and say my favorite words “hot plate, don’t touch, hot plate.”
This will be a fairly short blog post, because I am going to let you in on a secret; my mama’s salsa recipe. It isn’t hard to make, and there isn’t really anything THAT special about it, other than it’s the best dang salsa you’ll ever eat. Not to mention, it literally costs like 5 bucks to make a small batch and $10 bucks to make a big batch. Honestly, probably not even that much if we are thinking about different prices and sales.
I finally had just learned to make this last year after my husband having begged a few times for me to learn, so that we wouldn’t have to drive to my parents house to eat it or pick some up.
I make it for all kinds of occasions. Every time we have people over, big parties, birthday parties, etc. People kill for the salsa. Just pair with some tortilla chips or some spicy chips.
- 1 Tomato
- 1 White Onion Peeled
- 1 Can of Original Rotel Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno or if you want really spicy, (1 habanero or serrano pepper)
- A Blender
- Tortilla Chips/Chips
- Chop up half your onion, and chop your full tomato, and chop up the head of cilantro, also chop up your pepper, if you decide to put any in there. Throw it in your blender.
- Next, open your can of rotel diced tomatoes. Put that in the blender also.
- Blend everything together till it is liquid consistency with no chunks.
- You can place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours for coldness, or serve straight out of the blender.
I really hope you enjoy this salsa as much as my family and I do! Happy Cinco de Mayo! Stay safe and healthy, and enjoy some yummy salsa at home!